posted by: Melissa
| February 03, 2017, 07:18 PM
Although alternative certification programs for teachers can often be controversial, when done right, they can actually produce stronger teachers than traditional four year programs.
Teacher candidates who enter an alternative program already have an undergraduate degree in the subject area that they will be teaching and a few years of experience in that field. This high level of content knowledge then gets matched with intensive in-classroom training and mentoring that helps the candidates master the pedagogical side of teaching. The result is impressive. These program graduates are firmly grounded in their craft and it shows.
Below are five programs that are doing it right and seeing impressive results.
- Teach for America – Despite its naysayers, TFA grads continue to serve in hard to staff schools, see impressive math growth, and bring attention to issues in education.
- TNTP Teacher Fellows – This impressive program runs residency programs in a number of cities throughout the US. They focus on proven methods to create the best teachers while providing support to educators and districts.
- Denver Teacher Residency – This five year program helps brings career changers into the classroom and supports them through their first years
- California Teacher Corps – The teacher corps program seeks to bring highly educated individuals into the classroom and fill teacher shortages by providing them intensive support and training as they teach.
- Teach-Now – Teach-Now is different than the other programs in that it is a full-fledged master’s program, which pairs online learning, interactive group lessons, and in classroom experiences to prepare new teachers for the classroom.